Monday, April 19, 2010

into the clouds

it was a different world.

it was as bright as the brightest day you ever remember. the wind was howling continuously. unable to tell if it was due to my relative velocity or the true speed of the wind.blue and white dominated the scenery. it was like the scenes of heaven people try to envision. the light blue sky stretched over me like a big canopy. the white clouds were so thick, it looked like solid land.

it was like a dream. there was little time to think. little time to soak in the reality of where i am and what i was doing. there were no decisions to make. no second thoughts. no hesitation. one moment, i was in the plane. the next moment i was out.

the feeling was really special and magical in a way. it did not feel scary. it did not feel real. the winds are blowing so fast at me as if i was in front of a giant fan. i know i was falling but i couldn't feel it. the clouds below me blocked the view of the earth from me. as i fell, i saw the clouds coming closer and closer to me.

then the free fall was over. the parachute was released. the sudden jerk was painful but it still felt like a dream. the instructor removed my googles and i could see the mountains and the ocean. the horizon was beautiful. the feeling being unobstructed up in the air was very "freeing". i tried to enjoy myself but the motion sickness crept up to me earlier than i anticipated. i felt dizzy as he steered the parachute in circles to avoid the clouds. the land grew bigger by the second. before i knew it, i was about the land.

the final moments are painful. it was difficult to lift up and tuck in my legs with the numerous straps on me. it was uncomfortable and the motion sickness made it unpleasant. but all those feelings are blocked out as I felt the exhilaration of what I had just did. next came the celebration with my friends who were watching from below.

it was over. everything happened so fast. for the next few days, ppl talk about it. but one thought still remained... "did i really just fell 4267m from the sky?"

No comments:

Post a Comment